Make Your WordPress Site Safe with these Six Plugins
In 2015, over 177,000 hacking attempts were recorded. Such attempts are increasing year on year, with 2017 set to be the biggest year yet for hackers. This is a worrying trend for businesses, especially when you consider that 90% of businesses are hacked on a yearly basis. For both small and large websites, it is essential therefore to stay ahead of the game and incorporate cutting edge security measures to block any type of data breach. One way to achieve this is by installing the best WordPress security plugins to keep your business safe.
There are many security plugins on offer, and while they can never replace the skills of an experienced web designer, here are six WordPress security plugins to make your site safer.
- iThemes Security: Regularly updated, the iThemes Security plugin for WordPress provides its users with over 30 ways to combat malicious attacks. Developed by a team of experienced WordPress website developers, the iThemes team shores up common weaknesses in WordPress installations to minimize the possibility of a successful hack. The Pro version of this plugin offers an extensive suite of password authentication and security protocols which can protect your site from both hackers and spammers.
- Wordfence: One of, if not the most popular WordPress security plugins out there. Continually updated via its Threat Defense Feed to stay on top of developing hacking tools and exploits, Wordfence Security provides a dependable firewall against attacks. It also blocks common threats such as fake bots, botnets and even malicious scans. Wordfence blocks known attackers and networks from harming your site, and if your site is compromised, the plugin will alert you so that you or your IT staff can take action.
- BulletProof Security: Automation is the real advantage of the BulletProof Security WordPress plugin. With an intuitive “one click” setup wizard, this plugin provides extensive login, firewall, and database security. It also provides solid database backups in the event of a breach, so that you can quickly return your site to a previous healthy state. Further anti-hacking and anti-spam tools are available via the premium version of this plugin.
- All in One WP Security & Firewall: This WordPress security plugin is regularly updated and takes extra steps to help you and your business cultivate solid security practices. The All in One WP Security Firewall doesn’t just provide a dependable shield against hackers, but it also checks for site vulnerabilities so that your expert web designer can quickly resolve any outstanding issues. It also comes with a 100% guarantee that it will not slow down your site like some security plugins, maintaining a fluid experience for your customers.
- Shield Security: The developers of the Shield Security WordPress plugin claim that their plugin is the most powerful security tool for WordPress installations. While this could be debated, there is no doubt that it is an excellent and dependable security plugin. There are no premium restrictions, so you get access to the complete suite of tools. Shield Security provides protection against brute-force attacks and provides super admin security so that you can maintain control of your website. What’s more, the shield security plugin allows you to manage security protocols across multiple websites with the click of a button. A real time-saver.
- Sucuri Security: Devised to complement other existing security measures, the Sucuri Security WordPress plugin bolsters your existing security measures, scans for malware and other threats, while providing an array of post hack tools to quickly recover from an attack. It also sends alerts if any key site files have been modified without the correct access, a tell-tale sign that your site has been compromised.
A combination of these plugins is a great start to securing your WordPress site, but only with a professional website expert can you truly secure your website and business. For more information on security and ways to optimize your site, peruse our extensive tutorials, and contact one of our trained website designers who are on standby to answer any of your queries.
Think we missed something? Disagree with our list? Let us know what your picks are for the best WordPress security plugins below.